Recently, the popularity of an air fryer in Korea has been soaring. The air fryer is well known for simply cooking foods and reanimating foods which got cold. No matter who uses the air fryer, it can revive foods that are becoming tasteless. Also, through SNS, people enjoy creating and sharing new recipes using an air fryer. It is no exaggeration to say that with the advent of air fryers, people's food life is becoming richer and happier.
An air fryer is a small convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. It was first patented by TurboChef Technologies in the United States in 2005. Since then, Fred van der Weij tried to find a way to commercialize the air fryer. With some inventors, they made a small company to develop a prototype and collaborated with Philips. Through these efforts, they finally unveiled the product at the 2010 IFA (Internationale Funkausstellung), the international consumer electronics show.
Now, air fryers are widely commercialized throughout the world, and Koreans also uses them a lot. According to global market research firm Euromonitor International, sales of air fryer in South Korea in 2018 are 287,000 units, up 285.9% from the previous year. In this explosive growth in domestic sales is due to a decrease in the price and an increased capacity of the air fryer. At that time, the air fryer launched within 5.2L capacity, twice as large as the previous 2.6L, and the price was less than 100,000 won. Information technology professional online media, ZDNet Korea, said that popularization of the air fryer in Korea began when Emart launched The Air Fryer Plus with large size and cheap price in 2017.
The air fryer is loved by people for its convenience and simplicity in cooking. When people just put the food in the air fryer for a certain time, the food is well cooked. One of the CUK student, Jeong Hyeon-yeong (International Studies 20) said that the biggest advantage of an air fryer is that it can be used more safely and simply than using an induction (인덕션) oven. She also said, “I thought cooking foods such as Garlic bread and Gambas is too hard for me, but after I started using an air fryer, I can cook almost every food by just putting them in an air fryer.”
In addition to the convenience, health is another reason for its popularity. Foods, which are made by an air fryer are lower in calories than regular fried food because it does not use as much oil. Besides, the air fryer is structured to separate any oil from the food ingredients like an oven. People can avoid such unhealthy oil by cooking foods in an air fryer, and it makes people to eat healthier.
However, air fryer has become controversial due to carcinogens released during the cooking process. The Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) said, "If foods are cooked at a high temperature, more than 190 degrees Celsius, for a long time, the acrylamide, the carcinogen can be formed." Since acrylamide is formed when carbohydrates and amino acids react to each other in a high-temperature environment, it can be formed in any recipe which is cooked in the heat. Therefore, people should use the air fryer in a safe way according to MFDS guidelines.
Only if people use the air fryer at the suitable temperature, they can enjoy their dish with air fryer more safely. Many people already have developed and shared their unique recipe not only to heat up the foods. On blogs and YouTube, people can see there are lots of cooking recipes using an air fryer.
For those who are curious about using the air fryer for cooking, the Catholic University Forum (CUF) is offering readers air fryer recipes that have recently become a hot topic online.
★ A Recipe for Dish with an Air Fryer
Fried Shrimp Sandwich: Menbosha
♧Preparation: 4 loaf bread, shrimp 140g, half egg white, 1tbsp starch, olive oil, salt, black pepper, 1 tsp cooking wine, 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tbsp butter
1. Cut slices of bread into 4 pieces.
2. Wash the shrimp, remove the skin and intestines, and chop the shrimp into bite-sized pieces.
3. Put the ingredients in the minced shrimp and mix them in one direction until it becomes sticky. (ingredients: salt, black pepper, 1tsp cooking wine, 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, 1/2 tbsp butter, half an egg white, 1 tbsp starch)
4. Put the shrimp dough between squares of bread.
5. Apply a generous amount of olive oil using a brush or an oil spray.
6. Place in the air fryer and bake at 180 degrees for 7 minutes, turn over and bake for 3-4 minutes.
☆ Menbosha is also delicious to make sauce by mixing ketchup, chili, and mayonnaise in a 1:1:1 ratio.
Spanish Garlic Shrimp: Gambas
♧Preparation: 12 cocktail shrimp, 7 whole garlic, 5-6 pepperoncino, 5-6 cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, olive oil 200ml
1. Season the shrimp with pepper and salt.
2. Slice garlic thinly and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
3. Put garlic in a container and add about 200ml of olive oil.
4. Cook it at 180 degrees for 5 minutes to give it a garlic flavor.
5. When the garlic oil boils after 5 minutes, add shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and pepperoncino and cook for 7 more minutes.
☆ It is delicious even with garlic bread. Also, Gambas recipe is very diverse, so it is delicious to cook with various ingredients according to your taste.
♧Preparation: Half tofu, 100g of ground pork, 3ts of garlic, 1ts of ginger, 1ts of soy sauce, 1ts of oyster sauce, 3ts of red pepper oil, black pepper, green onion, starch.
1. Mix 3ts of garlic, 1ts of ginger, 1ts of soy sauce, 1ts of oyster sauce, and 3ts of red pepper oil. After that, add some pepper.
2. Put tofu and pork in a heat-resistant container.
3. Chop the green onions. Now put the sauce and scallions in the heat-resistant container and mix them well.
4. Add a half cup of paper cup of water.
5. Cook at 180 degrees for 10 minutes, then add 2 spoons of starch and cook for another 3 minutes.
☆ Cooking mapo tofu with an air fryer is easier than frying pan, and you can make it spicy and clean taste enough.
It is hard to eat out to eat delicious food during the pandemic. In this frustrating situation, the air fryer allows us to make the food that seems to be sold in restaurants. By using an air fryer, everyone can be a cook, even if people who are not confident at cooking. If we just prepare the ingredients and make some effort, we can enjoy tasty dishes with the convenience of an air fryer.